Specialised services for major moves and non-containerised loads
Our experienced team can help you manage the challenges of planning and coordinating efficient break bulk transport by sea. With staff in all major ports, we can take care of your shipment from pick-up to end destination.
- Global network of intercontinental and short sea freight routes using premium carriers
- Flexibility in arranging transport by scheduled or charter services
- Complete project transport and logistics solutions from pickup and collection at your facilities, to safe stowage and packing, through to final delivery
- Range of special equipment such as flat-rack or open-top containers, roll trailers and flatbeds
- Qualified and trained staff in all major ports around the world, covering your shipments from origin to destination
- Fast response and personalised service
Talk to our experts about customised solutions for your most complex transport needs.
What is break bulk?
Break bulk is a system of transporting cargo as separate pieces rather than in containers. This type of cargo is non-containerised and used for individual items that are oversized and overweight, e.g. construction equipment, oil and gas machinery, pipes, boats, turbine blades, ship propellers, generators, large engines and steel parts.
How break bulk shipping works
Break-bulk cargo is usually transported in bags, boxes, crates, drums or barrels, or as unit loads secured to pallets or skids. Specialist break bulk vessels come fitted with heavy-lift cranes that can manage heavy cargo safely and quicker than dockside cranes, which makes the process of loading/unloading faster and more efficient.
The term ‘break bulk’ comes from the phrase ‘breaking bulk’, where part of a ship’s cargo is extracted or unloaded. A break-in-bulk point is a place where goods are transferred from one mode of transport to another, e.g. docks where goods are transferred from ship to truck.
Contact us for advice on the right container for your needs.